SIA Licences – Door Supervision – Compliance

by SIA Site Admin // February 13

SIA licensing under the new Licensing Act

The Licensing Act 2003 will come into force in November 2005. It will provide a single integrated scheme for licensing premises used for the supply of alcohol, the provision of regulated entertainment, and the provision of late night refreshment. Permission to carry out some or all of these activities will be contained in a single authorisation: a premises licence, or temporary event notice

Under the terms of the Licensing Act 2003, whenever a condition is included in a premises licence that individuals must be present at the premises to carry out a security activity (for example, door supervisors), the licence must include a condition that such persons are required to be licensed by the Security Industry Authority (SIA). There are some exceptions to this requirement, such as relating to premises staging plays (e.g. theatres) or exhibiting films A condition may provide for stewards and other persons whose role is not to carry out a security activity but to provide advice about and ensure the safety of those visiting premises. They do not need to be registered with the SIA. See section 31 of the Act and the Private Securities Act 2001 as amended by the 2003 Act.

Home Office Ministers confirmed during passage of the Private Security Industry Bill that SIA licensing does not apply to people who perform security duties that are incidental to their main employment. This includes premises licence holders and designated premises supervisors licensed under the Licensing Act 2003, such as publicans and bar managers.

Failure to comply with any conditions attached to a licence or certificate is a criminal offence (see section 136 of the Act), which on conviction would be punishable by a fine of up to £20,000 or up to six months imprisonment or both.

The transitional period for the new licensing regime begins on 7th February 2005, when people can start transferring their current licences to the new premises licence or club premises certificate.

For more information about the Licensing Act 2003 and how it will affect you, visit the DCMS website