Application form checklist
When returning your application form to us you will need to send the following items:
Please make sure that you send a good-quality colour photograph as we will electronically capture and reduce the photograph and copy it onto your SIA licence, if your application is successful.
Attach your photograph in the space provided by following the instructions on the form.
Don’t let your application be rejected. We do not accept the following photographs:
- Black and white photographs.
- Too close to the camera.
- Headgear, unless the applicant wears a head covering due to their religious beliefs or their ethnic background, which is acceptable.
- Sunglasses, although you can wear everyday glasses.
- Full face is too light (over-exposed).
- Full face is too dark (under-exposed).
- Dark or colour background.
- Shadows cover part of the full face.
- Curtained background.
- Counter-signature is missing.
Check your photograph. If it is one that we will not accept, get a new one that we will.
Several examples of a photograph that we would not accept are shown below:
Some more examples of a photograph that we would not accept are shown below:
To be accepted, photographs should be full face (without sunglasses and normally without a hat, unless the applicant wears a head covering due to their religious beliefs or their ethnic background, which is acceptable). If you normally wear prescription spectacles, we would accept a photograph wearing them. Examples of a photograph that we would accept are:
The photograph should be signed on the back by a counter-signatory. Details of the person signing the photograph will need to be recorded on the application form (see the following list for examples of this suitable person). Relatives must not sign the photograph.
Suitable people include:
- Articled Clerk of a Limited Company.
- Assurance Agent of a Limited Company.
- Bank/ Building Society Official.
- Chairman/ Director of a Limited Company.
- Christian Science Practitioner.
- Commissioner of Oaths.
- Councillor: local or county.
- Civil Servant (permanent).
- Engineer (with professional qualification).
- Fire Service Official.
- Funeral Director.
- Insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company.
- Justice of the Peace.
- Legal secretary (members and fellow of legal secretaries).
- Local Government Officer.
- Manager/Personnel Officer (of limited company).
- Member of Parliament.
- Merchant Navy Officer.
- Minister of recognised religion.
- Nurse (SRN and SEN).
- Officer of the Armed Services (active or retired).
- Warrant Officer or Chief Petty Officer of the Armed Services.
- Person with honours (e.g. OBE, MBE).
- Person with recognised qualification (BSc, PhD).
- Photographer (professional).
- Police Officer.
- Post Office official.
- President/secretary recognised organisation.
- Salvation Army Officer.
- Social worker.
- Teacher/ Lecturer.
- Trade Union Officer.
- Travel Agent (qualified).
- Valuers and Auctioneers (fellow and associate members of the incorporated society).
By signing and dating the photograph the counter-signatory is agreeing that the photograph is of the applicant.
We reserve the right to refuse a counter-signatory if their suitability is unclear.
If you hold a current, valid non-UK Private Security Industry European Economic Area (PSI EEA) licence, you should also send the licence with your application.
Note: We must receive recent examples of certain types of original document, as follows:
- those with 1 star * must be less than 3 months old, e.g. credit card statement.
- those with 2 stars ** must be issued within the last 12 months e.g. court summons.
You must include either:
- 1 item from group A plus 2 other items from either group A or B. OR
- 5 items from group B.
All documents should be in the applicant’s current name (unless accompanied by a deed poll document that confirms a change of name), at least one document must show the applicants current address and at least one must show the applicants date of birth.
Items from group A are as follows:
- Signed valid passport (any nationality).
- Original birth certificate (issued within 12 months of birth).
- Signed UK photo driving licence (photo licence both parts required).
- Signed UK paper driving licence.
- Valid EU photo ID card.
- Valid UK firearms licence.
Items from group B are as follows:
- Marriage certificate.
- Non original birth certificate (** issued 12 months after date of birth).
- P45 statement of income for tax purposes on leaving a job (** issued in last 12 months).
- P60 annual statement of income for tax purposes (** issued in last 12 months).
- Bank or building society statement issued to current address (* less than 3 months old).
- Mortgage statement (** issued in last 12 months).
- Utility bill from current address e.g. Gas/Electric/Telephone – inc mobile phone contract (* less than 3 months old), (Multiple bills are accepted if from different service providers).
- Financial statement e.g. Pension (** issued in last 12 months).
- Certificate of British Nationality.
- British work permit or Visa (** issued in last 12 months).
- Letter from the Inland Revenue/ DWP/ Employment Service/ local authority.
- Credit card statement from current address (* less than 3 months old).
- Court summons (** issued in last 12 months).
- Child benefit book (** issued in last 12 months).
- Addressed payslip (* less than 3 months old).
Documents will be returned to you once your payment has been processed and the identity checks completed. DO NOT send documents that you will need in the immediate future.