SIA Licences – Key Holding – Exemptions?

by SIA Site Admin // February 13

Who needs a licence? – Who doesn’t need a licence?

The following job roles may also be undertaken in the private security industry. The people providing these services will not need SIA licences if those are the only duties performed, as licensing requirements depend on the type of work that you do rather than the title of your job.

Please note: this list is not exhaustive and may include other areas.

  • Accountants – would include individual finance assistants and financial controllers.
  • Administrative support – would include secretarial support and office managers.
  • Barristers
  • Cleaners
  • Concierge
  • Employed to check tickets or passes
  • Estate agents – (supervisor or managers)
  • Financial controller
  • Handymen
  • Human resources managers
  • Installers of CCTV equipment
  • IT support staff
  • Journalist/broadcasters
  • Marketing and Communications Executive/Staff
  • Market researchers
  • Members of relevant professional bodies e.g. Institute of Legal Executives, Law Society, and Bar Council etc.
  • Legal or financial advisers
  • Porter
  • Pub landlords receiving services under contract
  • Receptionist
  • Shareholder or member who is not involved in the running of the company
  • Solicitors
  • Theatre ushers
  • Volunteers
  • Wardens or their managers employed in-house in sheltered accommodation.