SIA Licences – Security Guarding – People?

by SIA Site Admin // December 11

Who needs a licence? – In house guarding

The role of the Security Industry Authority includes making recommendations and proposals to ministers for the improvements of standards within the industry. As part of its strategic development programme, the SIA has commissioned a further piece of work aimed at reviewing whether the licensing of security guards should be extended to include ‘in-house’ guards at some time in the future. As a consequence of that work, the SIA will then give advice to ministers.

Richard Childs of The Community Safety Consultancy Ltd, has been asked to review whether it remains appropriate for ‘in-house’ operations to remain unlicensed or whether these should become subject to legislation, and if so, how that should be done.

A comprehensive consultation programme is underway and anyone wishing to contribute should write to

SIA In-House Consultation Project PO BOX 9 Newcastle-Upon-Tyne

NE82 6YX

We expect to be able to publish the results of the consultation by the end of 2004.