You can start applying for a licence from November 1, 2004. If you need a licence you must obtain one before February 28, 2005. (Subject to final Ministerial approval)
Before you apply for your licence you will need to obtain the SIA recognised qualification. Training is now available, but you should allow yourself plenty of time to organise it and to get the right certificate. To ensure you have a licence by the enforcement date of 28 February we recommend that you apply as soon as possible, and no later than 17 January 2005. This does not include the time needed for training in order to meet SIA standards.
The following list gives a rough timescale for training and applying for a licence:
- If you already have qualifications which provides an exemption from SIA qualifications you should allow about 2-3 weeks for your present certificate to be replaced with the SIA approved certificate.
- The course needs to be booked and attended – allow a minimum of 2 weeks.
- Once you have sat the examinations these need to be marked and certificates issued. This may take 1-3 weeks.
- Once you have your certificate number you can apply to the SIA. Your application will take 4-6 weeks to process.
- Total time required for obtaining training and application process 9-14 weeks (approximately).